Friday, February 22, 2008

sxsw countdown: 3 weeks till texas!

Less than three weeks to go! And yesterday the drawing started for the 4,000 wristbands available for Austin residents. Luckily, I still have a debit card with an Austin address. Cause after they're divvied up, there'll only be a handful up for grabs the week of. I swear, it gets more and more annoying each year to get a wristband! And if I don't get one, I'm sure there'll be plenty of fun unofficial day and night parties. In fact, Liz has already given me two funtastic party tips:

GORILLA VS. BOOZE II feat. the Cool Kids, Holy Fuck, Bodies of Water, White Denim, Ghosthustler, White Williams, DJ Sets by The Party, + FREE BEER



HOT FREAKS! feat. Jens Lekman, British Sea Power, Crystal Castles, Cadence Weapon, Islands, Peter Moren (from Peter Bjorn & John), Lykke Li, Keving Barnes (from Of Montreal) and many more



Last year I first heard and saw Ra Ra Riot at the American Rag/Filter Magazine Party at Cedar Street. I had missed their official showcase the night before, and they turned out to be my favorite band of the festival (hands down!). In fact, I went up to the front of the stage only a few verses into their first song (their energy and on-stage chemistry was THAT magnetic). They seriously gave me goosebumps all over (especially with their Kate Bush "Hounds of Love" cover--I think even The Futureheads would tip their hats)! AND I even ended up "south-by-stalking" them to their next unofficial gig at Emo's Annex because I just couldn't get enough. Even after the death of their drummer John Pike (RIP), they've kept on making music and will be back at SXSW this year. Since they haven't made it all the way to Germany yet, I'm very much looking forward to seeing them again in Austin.









No comments: