Friday, May 23, 2008

The Long Blondes @ Lido (5/5/08)

Playing catch-up!...Earlier this month, Liz and I went to see The Long Blondes at Lido. I actually wasn't planning on going because I had seen them in Magnet a year or two earlier, hadn't heard any of their new stuff yet and wanted to save money for my London trip. Luckily, my friend Lars was doing merch and was unexpectedly able to get us on the list (bless his heart), or else I'd have missed an amazing gig. The material from their new album "Closer" leaves the 60's behind and enters the late 70's, early 80's with a disco/new wave vibe. Not surprisingly, Kate Jackson stole the show. It was as if she was channeling the extraordinary power of Blondie and Donna Summer combined. And the entire way through I was equally mesmerized by her seemingly endless mannequin legs. Eye candylicious. I'm sure all the fellas will agree.







"Once and Never Again"
(from the album "Someone to Drive You Home")



"Giddy Stratospheres"
(from the album "Someone to Drive You Home")


P.S. The Lodger opened up for them and they were swell, so check 'em out (especially their song "The Good Old Days")!

No comments: